Monday, December 21, 2015

No Coffee for Doggie

To all the coffee lovers out there, a word of warning coffee is not good for dogs, in fact it's highly poisonous for themaIf your dog drank a whole cup bring it to the vet, ASAP.

 Caffeine is very dangerous to your dog and coffee is a very source of caffeine. How much is too much? Depends on many factors, like the size of the dog and whether your pet lapped coffee or actually ingested coffee. Caffeine is lethal according to Provet, at 150mg per 2.2 pounds of body weight.

Signs of Poisoning

Common signs of a coffee overdose include vomiting, tremors, restlessness and rapid heart rate. In severe cases, seizures can appear. It's possible for dogs to collapse if high amounts of caffeine have been ingested



There's no antidote for caffeine poisoning in dogs, so the best you -- or your vet -- can do is induce vomiting. Only do this if you think your dog has consumed a lot of coffee -- lapping at your coffee cup a few times doesn't count. In serious cases, your vet might give your pet anti-seizure medication or drugs to lower blood pressure. Your pet might also need to be sedated and stay in the hospital under observation until all symptoms have disappeared.


Something to Keep in Mind

Caffeine is present in a number of items, not just coffee. So if your dog ate a tea bag or swallowed some diet pills, the danger can be just as great as if he drank your morning cup of coffee. Other products that contain caffeine include energy drinks, soda and coffee-flavored products such as ice cream or candy

No comments:

Post a Comment